The relationship between a student and a faculty member can have a profound, lifelong influence on both parties. Likewise, established and accomplished teacher-scholars can serve equally influential and encouraging roles for junior colleagues and provide crucial support for early and midcareer transitions. In sum, the mentoring relationship inspires, gives confidence, and culminates in valuable collegial relationships. The effective mentor serves as advisor, teacher, advocate, and role model. The SSSI Helena Lopata Mentor Excellence Award recognizes these important contributions to our society and craft. Nominees must be members of SSSI to be eligible for this award. We seek nominees who show evidence of:
- a sustained career as a beneficial role model;
- a sustained record of mentoring students and junior colleagues in acquiring the skills and resources necessary for career success;
- promoting successful and timely completion of students’ degree programs;
- supporting attendance and participation at conferences;
- imparting informed advice relating to career opportunities and choices;
- establishing opportunities for networking and professional connections;
- motivating students and junior colleagues about research and teaching activities;
- helping students and junior colleagues develop a range of talents including skills in research, teaching, professional presentations, writing, preparation of grant and fellowship applications, etc.;
- integrating students and junior colleagues into the broader culture of the SSSI.
All nominations should include (a) a letter of nomination and, (b) multiple letters of support, ideally from people with different mentoring relations with the candidate, that testify to a sustained career of outstanding mentorship.
The Winner of the 2018 Lopata Mentor Award is Leslie Irvine, Department of Sociology at the University of Colorado, Boulder.
Chair: Eric Silva (email@example.com)
Members: Natalia Ruiz-Junco (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Doug Schrock (email@example.com)
A list of previous winners can be found HERE.